The capital of Fuerteventura since 1860 Puerto del Rosario sits close to the airport and has a population of around 18,000.
Once called Puerto de Cabras (goat harbour) the town developed into an important port during the 19th century after taking the capital of the island from La Oliva.
The church in the centre of 'Puerto' is dedicated to the patron saint 'Virgin del Rosario' and it wasn't until 1956 that the town was given the more pleasant name of Puerto del Rosario (port of the rosary).
Puerto is more of an industrial area and isn't really geared up for tourism, although many people still visit the town from the nearby resort of Caleta de Fuste to do some shopping. Until recently it wasn't that attractive, but now the main street has been finished off, many of the roads resurfaced and the harbor promenade has been rebuilt.
The harbour area is the oldest part of town and it is from here you can find all of the small alleys lined with old Canarian style houses.
There is one place worth a visit and that's the home of the former exile poet Miguel de Unamuno which is now a museum.
There is also a culture centre (Casa de la Cultura) where exhibitions, plays and concerts are held.
There are plans for a tourist quarter and a municipal park.
Puerto has improved very much over recent years. Spreading inland are more and more excellent shops and a few years back industrial estates have been introduced offering 'Cash 'n' Carry' warehouses giving residents more choice at better prices.
Doubleclick it to start.